Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunday… Jump Rope

So last week first week went well. A few little bumps in the road, but all in all I felt strong on the grinds as long as I stayed fresh, thus I took quite a bit of time off between sets. I was certainly happy to lift on my light days, because I really felt strong doing my ladders to 3 reps. I still feel good when I go to 5 reps, but I struggle on that last rung.

I noticed something while training this week however; it was that my right leg although strong while in a single leg stance isn’t wedging to connect power through my core to my right arm on my presses. So today I got outside to work the top part of my Turkish get up. Nothing like kneeling and standing with a multi segmental rotation to really get my linking from ground to hand practiced. I need even more transitional work before the two weeks are up, and I’ll probably have to continue this type of movement practice through the two weeks that follow the grind weeks- even though they’re ballistic.

Furthermore I’ve started jumping rope so that I might get a little bit more jarring through my C7 in a rhythmic undulating pattern. I of course do this on grass and barefoot to really connect myself to the relaxed bounding nature of the movement. I haven’t jumped rope since an old high school basketball coach told me to do so- he said it would be the thing that made me the whole package in baseball. I remember back before I started I was a 5 sec sprint to 1st base, and 1 year later I was a 4.1 to first base. I have neglected it wrongly for too many years, and since being told by Dr. Sahara that I was an anaerobic beast, I’ve thought about what aerobic event I could do to balance my training character.

If you know me well, I hate running. Not because I don’t like to run, but because I would rather lift weights, lol. I like yoga, but it still runs me anaerobic for some reason. So up until now I’ve really just been baffled about what to add- and I’M NOT GOING TO BE DISGRACED BY SPENDING TIME ON A MINDLESS CARDIO MACHINE, HAHA. So finally today I looked into an old baseball bag of mine; I was merely moving it to another place in the garage. And I found it… my old jump rope. I knew then and there what my new activity to get me more aerobic was going to be.

Today was a 30min variety day and I love jumping rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me for a FREE REPORT ABOUT YOUR GOALS!!!